I’m a huge fan of snarky, sarcastic, jokey characters. I’ve gone a little bit lighter on the sarcasm here, but these people are definitely people who made me laugh (and occasionally cry) from their antics. Honestly, if you haven’t read these characters yet, I fully suggest you do.
- Fred and George Weasley: Does this really need an explanation? The Harry Potter series was one of my favorites (so say many of us) and Fred and George were the fun older brothers I wish my best friend had (the level of mocking within the family, no way would I want to be actually related). They’re inventors, and they play pranks, but they were also incredibly genuine and kind, trying to help people out where they could.
- Mark Watney from The Martian: I read this book on a regular basis and so much of the reason I come back to this is Mark Watney’s sense of humor. It’s not that he plays practical jokes, but his sense of humor is found throughout the entire book. He makes jokes and he laughs and he plays around and this book is one of those reminders that even in the bleakest of times, humor can help you work your way through.
- Wayne from Alloy of Law: So, Wayne might not consider himself a jokester but he basically is in that he tends to cause a small amount of havoc wherever he goes. He trades things not based off of what society thinks they’re worth, but what he thinks things are worth, which means he’ll leave a very pretty leaf in exchange for a doily, and of course, the owners of these items aren’t exactly consulted when these trades are made. He has this infuriating way of being a butt that you kind of want to love.
- Sieh the Trickster from The Inheritance Trilogy: Oh gods, do I love him. The gods in this world are 100% on brand and as a trickster god some of his tricks are funny and some are cruel, but as a character he is beautiful and so complex in the way an eternal child must be. There is so much depth in his character and how he decides to act the way that he acts. And ugh, I can’t say enough good things about this series, and Sieh is definitely one of my favorite parts of it. Lucky for all of us, there’s even an entire novella, outside of the trilogy, that focuses on him.
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: I had a hard time choosing which comic book character to choose but ultimately it had to be the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Sorry Deadpool). Doreen/The Unbeatable Squirrel girl lives in a world of puns and word play. This series is beautifully written, and the stories are always fun, but most importantly, Doreen and her friends are pretty much always enjoying themselves, they manage to turn villains to their side and fight dinosaurs. Yet again, she isn’t necessarily a jokester as in prank-puller, but there are constant jokes in these stories. Also Doreen is just the best.