All the Feels by Olivia Dade (Spoiler Alert #2)
**We received an ARC of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This book comes out on Nov 16th and you can get it here or at your local independent bookstore**
Reviewed by GGGinny
What I drank: wine and a vodka drink. I was pregaming a concert and damn had I missed this.
Following Spoiler Alert, Olivia Dade returns with another utterly charming romantic comedy about a devil-may-care actor—who actually cares more than anyone knows—and the no-nonsense woman hired to keep him in line.
Alexander Woodroe has it all. Charm. Sex appeal. Wealth. Fame. A starring role as Cupid on TV’s biggest show, God of the Gates. But the showrunners have wrecked his character, he’s dogged by old demons, and his post-show future remains uncertain. When all that reckless emotion explodes into a bar fight, the tabloids and public agree: his star is falling.
Enter Lauren Clegg, the former ER therapist hired to keep him in line. Compared to her previous work, watching over handsome but impulsive Alex shouldn’t be especially difficult. But the more time they spend together, the harder it gets to keep her professional remove and her heart intact, especially when she discovers the reasons behind his recklessness…not to mention his Cupid fanfiction habit.
When another scandal lands Alex in major hot water and costs Lauren her job, she’ll have to choose between protecting him and offering him what he really wants—her. But he’s determined to keep his improbably short, impossibly stubborn, and extremely endearing minder in his life any way he can. And on a road trip up the California coast together, he intends to show her exactly what a falling star will do to catch the woman he loves: anything at all.
Drunk Overview: so first off, this is the second book in a series and I did not review the first. Lauren is Alexs handler consider dude cant keep his mouth shut and is pissed about how his character arc panned out in a GOT esque show. Shes quiet and hes loud… at least thats their personality at the beginning.
Drunk Thoughts: God this book was self indulgent.
- Seemingly asshole actor actually has a heart of gold.
- Quiet woman finds someone who wants her to be herself
- Road trip, bed sharing, miscommunication, this book has so many tropes and then add three.
- But also, this book has two very flawed people who realize that theyve been treating themselves badly mostly because the other person showed them that.
- Okay so, this book has weird timing issues and at times I think it leans heavily on being a second book.
- For example, Marcus, the main dude of book 1, is Alexs best friend but barely shows up. I belive it because I read the first book.
- But also there are things that feel like time skips, that apparently weren’t?
- Basically any time someone mentioned a timeline I thought “that cant be right…”
- Then we get to character ages. Some of them just didnt seem to fit.
- Although maybe that has to do with Alex havinh ADHD. His interior thoughts felt younger than “almost 40” but Im also saying that as someone without ADHD and maybe thats what its like.
- I liked some of the cast of characters (mostly the newer ones because again, the older ones felt hand waved in).
- Alexs mom was great (even though I dont think he could have hidden all of the things from her re-the charity…
- In other words this book had some plot holes
- But Ive been looking for self indulgent reads and this was perfect.
- The two main characters clearly l8ked each other, even when Lauren didnt want to.
- I liked having main characters who didnt try to harm each other, and did their best when they fucked up.
What I’d Pair it With: three buck chuck, ideally white three buck chuck
Rating: this book is by no means a literary masterpiece, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. 4/5