Hope you all had a healthy week! We are all basically quarantined here. Mandatory telework, etc. You know what that means though?? MORE TIME FOR READING
It was an ok week. This coronavirus thing has everyone up in arms. My work went on mandatory telework. Ginny and I went up to my mom’s to see this local variety show musical thing. It’s so bad its good and we look forward to it each year… but it was cancelled. Boo. Anyway, it was good to see mama. I heart her.
What Sam Finished:
- Sword in the Stars by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy: This is the sequel to Once & Future a gender-bent queer King Arthur retelling in space. I reviewed it here. Folks, you’re not ready for this story and its ending. You’re just not. ARC review to come soon. It comes out on April 7.
- Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa: This is the sequel to Shadow of the Fox, which I also loved. Our main half-fox is in search of her bae who has been possessed by the demon he was trained to keep imprisoned in the sword but flunked because he fell in lurve. ANYWAY, I just finished this today, and I am stoked for book 3. Which we so happened to be accepted into the blog tour so be on the lookout for that. Check Linz’s drunk review here.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Queen of Ruin by Tracy Banghart: I have been excited to finish this duology up since I saw Linz’s take on it a few months ago. Listening on audio and just started today but also already at about the 30% mark. This is the sequel to Grace and Fury an Italian inspired fantasy world where women literally have no rights, aren’t allowed to be educated, can be sold off by their parents, marriages arranged, basically their whole lives dictated by men. Anyway, the king has these “graces” who are basically harem women meant to give the king kids/pleasure/whatever. Sister 1 was trained for it from birth, sister 2 trained to be her handmaiden. GASP sister 2 is chosen. Sister 1 is sent to this prison island because she covers up for Sister 2 when a book is discovered. I am real excited to be back in this world. I get the feeling we’re gonna get some awesome angst and I’m here for it.
- The Empire of Dreams by Rae Carson: WE FINALLY HAVE MORE!!!! This is a new book set in the Girl of Fire and Thorns world about 7 years after the events of the first series. I’m barely in this, but it’s from the POV of Red Sparkle Stone and I am HERE FOR IT. Ginny did a review. But I adored these books and I canNOT wait to hear how Elisa, Hector, and my other kids are doing.
Wasn’t able to get that much reading done this week, but with #socialdistancing being at the top of my social calendar that should change this week.
What Minda is reading now:
- Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi – FINALLY got this from the library! Feels like I’ve been waiting for this sequel to Children of Blood and Bone forever.
- Music From Another World by Robin Talley – Still pretty early on in this, but excited for it.
What Minda put down:
- Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold – This is perfect for one of the O.W.L. subjects for the Magical Readathon in April, so decided to read it then instead.
Welcome to pandemic watch 2020. Here are the books on the forecast.
What Ginny finished:
- Tricks for Free by Seanan McGuire: As with all of Seanan McGuire’s books, I will be reviewing this one. This is the 7th book in the Incryptid series and follows Antimony, the youngest of the Price’s as she attempts to hide in teh second happiest place on earth. It’s pretty fun.
- Diamond Fire by Ilona Andrews: This novella actually took place between the 3rd and 4th of the Hidden Legacies series and I felt I was missing something. This book ended up being a lot of fun because there was little to no focus on romance but a lot of intrigue and airing of dirty little secrets. Book 3.5 was definitely a fun jaunt.
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan: I know this book was huge a few years ago but sometimes my tbr just takes that long to get around. I gotta admit, this book was super not for me. There’s a certain amount of flaunting of wealth that I just don’t care for, it also doesn’t help that I don’t know enough inforamtion about a good portion of the designers mentioned to bother looking anything up.
What Ginny is currently reading:
- Hilariously Ever After by Various Authors: I read another decent chunk of this book, skipped another book, and finished one I quite enjoyed. I’m a really big fan of a quick page saying “hey I know these can be sensitive topics so, fyi…” which two of these books feature. There was also a lot of blatant consent and people laughing which is also my jam.
- Bliss, Remembered by Frank Deford: I’m not very far in this book (the other ones took precedence), but it’s a woman telling her son the story of her swimming in the 1936 Olympics in Nazi Germany. At this point I’m mostly hoping it doesn’t turn out that the man’s father is a Nazi…
Until next time, we main forever drunkenly yours,
Sam, Ginny, and Minda