Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa
Linz is reviewing book 2 of the Shadow of the Fox, here’s the review of book 1. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC!
One thousand years ago, a wish was made to the Harbinger of Change and a sword of rage and lightning was forged. Kamigoroshi. The Godslayer. It had one task: to seal away the powerful demon Hakaimono.
Now he has broken free.
Kitsune shapeshifter Yumeko has one task: to take her piece of the ancient and powerful scroll to the Steel Feather temple in order to prevent the summoning of the Harbinger of Change, the great Kami Dragon who will grant one wish to whomever holds the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers. But she has a new enemy now. The demon Hakaimono, who for centuries was trapped in a cursed sword, has escaped and possessed the boy she thought would protect her, Kage Tatsumi of the Shadow Clan.
Hakaimono has done the unthinkable and joined forces with the Master of Demons in order to break the curse of the sword and set himself free. To overthrow the empire and cover the land in darkness, they need one thing: the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers. As the paths of Yumeko and the possessed Tatsumi cross once again, the entire empire will be thrown into chaos.
Synopsis from Goodreads
What it’s about: Book 2 picks up ommedately after the events of book 1
- Yumeko: still needs to hit up Steel Feather temple w the Dragon scroll piece
- Tatsumi: now possessed by demon who lived in his sword, whoops
- Suki: still ghostin
SO, demon tatsumi dashes off to bargain w the master of demons (MoD) and breal the sword curse – excpet the Mod wants the drsgon scroll, obvi. So now EVERYone is trying to find the Temple and get the scroll before the deadline to summon the dragon and get the wish. WHEW.
What I drank: rose and also rose and not the jaeger shot fest going down in the living room jesus h
- this took me awhile to get into, and i think it was partly just finishing a diff mythic fantasy BUT partly it takes forever for yumekos group to get their butts in ge ar. As theyre about to atart journeying there is a LONG detour to tatsumis clan’s castle. And it sort of served a purpoae for the plot but sort of didnt? This detour early on just slowed the storys momentum, but it picks up when they get journeying, and there was still solid development
- the three-narrator format is still in play, but tatsumis side is now told through tue demon, so thats was an interesting change that played out well and efffectively
- no spoilers, there is a new relationship introduced and i didnt see it coming (and im not sure if i should have?) and YOU WILL LOVE IT
- the scary scenes were scary as hell, and the battle scenes were EXCELLENT. Why does japanese mythology have so many scary ass sprits and shit?
- the ending. Giiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrlllllll. The last 20% is REAL good and REAL actionpaxked, and Suki finally serves a purpose. It sets up a GRET book 3.
But sigh honestly book 2 (and frankly true of book 1) could have never had Suki and 99% of it would still work. Potentially 100%. Almost all of her narration could have been done 3rd person, and thebstuff she actually does, i think theres a way to write aroind it.
Overall, this book didn’t feel like a bridge between books 1 and 3 but a solid part of the series. Cannot WAIT
What I gave it: 3.5 stars
What id pair it w: everyone be drinking sake in this book, so … plum wine