The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
Reviewed by GGGinny
Sam also wrote a review.
What I drank: Please don’t make fun of me. Usually I draft these in advacne but it took me a full five minutes to get to the site and then adjsut this for this book. Please shut up. I don’t deserve the mockery that comes from being bad at things for drinking. There was so much cmpagne. this was good night. I have hope for our country again (can you guess when I’m writing this?)
Alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:
1) Woo the Shadow King.
2) Marry him.
3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.
No one knows the extent of the freshly crowned Shadow King’s power. Some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. Others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. Regardless, Alessandra knows what she deserves, and she’s going to do everything within her power to get it.
But Alessandra’s not the only one trying to kill the king. As attempts on his life are made, she finds herself trying to keep him alive long enough for him to make her his queen—all while struggling not to lose her heart. After all, who better for a Shadow King than a cunning, villainous queen?
Drunk Overview: A person you would have in any other book decides she wants to marry the king and kill him for his power. He is also a shitty person so at the beginning you don’t mind. And suddenly you do. Fuck Robin Hood, I want the douches to win.
Drunk Thoughts: I talked about this a bit with Sam, the fact that you aren’t supposed to like Alessandra or the kind and yet…. they’re super shitty people, and yet you root for them. The main characters sister is the main character in any other YA adaptation. And yest
- SEriously. I haven’t had another book where I’ve rooted against snow white and robin hood
- This book does kind of aw4esoem stuff for womens empowerment, aside ffrom this shitty main characters, this has some pretty boss side women characters who take their own futures into hand.
- Iwould love a story about Hestia and Rhoda.
- Alessandra is such an interesting character because she’s so ambitous. If she was a male charater that woudl be so accepted, and yet, she has to be so careful about it,
- Which is what makes this book facinating.
- Hiding ambitiont as other thigns
- The world building was pretty solid
- Though I would ahve liked a little more information about how magic worked in this world
- Let’s be honest, it’s rare that I dont’ want more.
- Alessandra was such an interesting character.
- I didn’t care much for the king., he was there.
- But the main cast of characters was fascinating.
- And I loved the Slytherin world.
- It’s rare to find an antihero I want to root for but this book did it so well.
What I’d Pair it With: Sparkling rose, but it needs to be really dry. The kind of thing that makes you feelt the need to pout but that expression is fully in control of someone else.
Rating: 5/5 I wish this book had a full series. And yet, I can’t help to feel this was exactyly the right lenght.