The Discord of Gods by Jenn Lyons (A Chorus of Dragons #5)
Reviewed by Sam!
What I drank prior: we went to medieval times and then a house party for our friend’s bday. I’ve been drunker hit I’m not sober.
Drunk Overview: this is the final book in this series so if you don’t know what’s up just go to one of the earlier reviews. I can’t hide anything else.
So Khirin is the bad guy merge now. He can’t touch stuff. His baes don’t know that Talon has taken his place. But final battle is about to happen and only like half the people who should know know what’s up. Clearly our hero is fuckin up but we gotta see how. Also, the bad guy Relos Var thinks he has shit handled and the other bad guy Xaltorath (I think is their name) also tryna fuck shit up.
Spoiler-free Thoughts: this is hard guys. This series is complicated. But I loved the finale and I rarely love finales.
Characters: ho boy ok imma try
- Khirin: Litereally he’s so funny in this book lol like he can’t touch shit and he’s still a cinnamon roll
- Taraeth: he’s so hot i canNOT even. i think he gets a bit of the short end in this book, but seems intentional and he’s got what he needs
- Janel: preggers but still an incredible bad ass like… just so insane
Can we talk about them for a sec? Idk how to say how much I love the three of them together. LIke litereally their relationship is one of the best i’ve seen in fantasy. There’s no jealousy, there’s communication, there’s love, there’s pain, there’s EVERYTHING and I love it.
- Talon: hehe she’s kinda cool in this one. she suuuuucked in most of the books but we fell in love with her last book so this one was funnier
- Thurvishar & Serena: Doing these together – they’re real cute too. Their footnotes are fun in this one
- Galen: an actual cinnamon roll
- Wife-y: could actually kill you
- Qown: my precious son and should be protected at ALL COSTS
- Relos Var: jesus h christ what a villain. i’ve said this before and i’ll say it again, the best villains are the ones that think what they’re doing is right. He’s just so smart and he’s also so Machiavellian and like just yeah
- Xaltaroth: HEHE THEY TALK IN ALL CAPS AND ALSO STILL SUCK REAL BAD
- Xivan & Talea: Super fun their new relationship with the results of the last book. Pretty cool to see that develop and their trust in each other too.
Plot: I was so pleased with this I can’t even tell you. A lot of series are low “the end of the world is coming!” But like nothing happens, BUT THIS ONE literally at one point the planet mine actually break into pieces in this book. Literally. And it’s incredible. I also didn’t see the ending coming which is hard and I was enthralled from the very beginning.
Writing Style: still love the footnotes. We get them from both S and T in this one and sometimes they banter and it’s adorbs
World Building: Less of that in this one and that’s ok cause it’s a finale
What to pair it with: Long Island. So. Many. Characters. But I named most of them without my notes (since I don’t have them with me) and that’s a tribute to the author cause that’s so rare for me.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,