Battle Royal by Lucy Parker (Palace Insiders #1)
Reviewed by GGGinny
What I drank: so much wine. Iys my birthday so wine anf I didnt buy it!
Beloved author Lucy Parker pens a delicious new romantic comedy that is a battle of whisks and wits.
Four years ago, Sylvie Fairchild charmed the world as a contestant on the hit baking show, Operation Cake. Her ingenious, colorful creations captivated viewers and intrigued all but one of the judges, Dominic De Vere, the hottest pastry chef in London. When her glittery unicorn cake went spectacularly sideways, Dominic was quick to vote her off the show. Since then, Sylvie has managed to use her fame to help fulfill her dream of opening a bakery, Sugar Fair. The toast of Instagram, Sugar Fair has captured the attention of the Operation Cake producers…and a princess.
Dominic is His Majesty the King’s favorite baker, the go-to for sweet-toothed A-List celebrities, and a veritable British institution. He’s brilliant, talented, hard-working. And an icy, starchy grouch. Learning that the irksome Sylvie will be joining him on the Operation Cake judging panel is enough to make the famously dour baker even more grim. Her fantastical baking is only slightly more troublesome than the fact that he can’t stop thinking about her pink-streaked hair and irrepressible dimple.
When Dominic and Sylvie learn they will be fighting for the once in a lifetime opportunity to bake a cake for the upcoming wedding of Princess Rose, the flour begins to fly as they’re both determined to come out on top.
The bride adores Sylvie’s quirky style. The palace wants Dominic’s classic perfection.
In this royal battle, can there be room for two?
Drunk Overview:okay. She was a contestant on a GBBO knock off and gets taken out due to a mechanical error. But yeats later shes a judge with the hot but asshole judge. Theyre also competing to make a cake for a royal wedding. But theyre hot and fall un lurve while solving a mystery?
- Okay Sylvie is a bit too trusting (and its clear who the problem is from 5he beginning) because that fits her backstory
- Dominic is dark and brooding but also because of shitty parents. But in a different way
- Okay. So both characters have dealt with loss in different way.i.e their parents are either dead or suck.
- So theyve each created their own kind of armor. Also based in chocolate and baked goods
- But theyre competing to make a royal wedding cake. And theres some mystery there (in a flavor from Sylvies competitior and also a lost love interest from a previous royal relation)
- Legit, the plot did not seem crucial to this book
- I just wanted to read about these two people falling in love
- Because they were charming
- This book was a legit bop
- Yhe b plot was about a royal princess or something getting married and her fiance is sweet but not good in public and shes worried hes not gonna be able to handle it
- And basically this book is the best kind of ridiculous.
- Theres a whole plot about a mole in one of the shops and its not worth mentionimg because its obvious and only has a slight impacy on the importany things
- But also, its really obvious
- The relationships in this were fin
- Dominics sister is the epitome of cinnabon of a person who will fuck you up
- Shes basically my favorite charactet
- Except I really enjoyednSylvie who is just trying to makr people happy and also happened to like glitter.
- But its hard for me to talk about most other things because legit this book was such a bop (and also super easy to read)
What I’d Pair it With: dessert wine. Something sweet (because obviously)