Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
This is your weekly reminder that black lives matter. Also, #StopAAPIHate
Guys. Reading this year has been so hard. I’m committed to giving myself grace.
What Minda is reading now:
- The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams – “When the day finally comes for Annie to marry Alexander, the last thing she expects is to be left standing at the altar. She was so sure he was Mr Right. Now, she has no idea how she could have got it so wrong. After a chance meeting with Patrick, an old friend who reminds her of who she used to be, Annie takes a vow of her own: she’ll say yes to every opportunity that comes her way from now on. Could a spontaneous trip with Patrick be the way to mend Annie’s heart? She’s about to find out as she embarks on her honeymoon – with a man who’s not her husband.” Thank you Avon and NetGalley for an ARC!
- Dune by Frank Herbert – “Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, heir to a noble family tasked with ruling an inhospitable world where the only thing of value is the “spice” melange, a drug capable of extending life and enhancing consciousness. Coveted across the known universe, melange is a prize worth killing for….” Honestly not enjoying that much, but I promised a friend I will finish. Should knock out this week!
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker – This is the story of the Trojan War as told by Briseis, former Trojan Queen and current captive of Achilles. She shares her perspective going from royal to slave and the stories of thousands of enslaved women. Reading this one on audio.
What Sam Finished:
- Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim – when I sit down to read this I fly through. Basically, Shiori finds out her step mom is a demon and she informs her brothers. When her brother confront step mama she turns them in to cranes and makes it to if she utters s noise, she’ll kill her brothers. So they’ve gotta save the kingdom without speaking and while being cranes. Oh and there’s a dragon. I won’t say much about this book since it’s the book club book.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Master Artificer by Justin T. Call – This is the second in a series and without spoiling this is about a guy named Annev and he’s got half an arm and that makes him one of the evil God’s children in the eyes of the public. Oh and he can do magic, which also makes him “evil” even though he’s not. He’s working through the consequences of the last book. I forgot how much I missed this series and am excited to keep going, though because I need to get through the next book to pass it along for Book Club, I switched to audio.
- A Dark Queen Rises by Ashok K. Banker – This is the sequel to Upon a Burning Throne which i reviewed. This is basically Game of Thrones but in India and I say that because you fall in love with kids but none of them are safe. Banker has no shame about killing off your kids, so you’re always worried. Also it’s fucking brutal.
No update from Ginny this week!
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda