Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
This is your weekly reminder that black lives matter. Also, #StopAAPIHate
Whatsup, I had one week of freedom and now I’m back on my bullshit. A small piece of advice, I highly suggest finding a local artist’s rendition of a duck and buying a small piece that can grace your countertop so every time you grab your keys you go “Aww, duckling.” It really does make things better.
What Ginny Finished:
- The Midnight Bargain by C.L. Polk: This book is about a magical society where married women wear a collar that basically gives their magical energy to their husbands. Beatrice, our main character is trying to avoid that fate. She meets a wealthy brother/sister duo that are in town for the marriage market and finds out the sister is in a similar boat. This book could be a bit hard to read in the way the justifications are made that women = property. I’m glad I pushed through though. The ending was a blast.
- Second First Impressions by Sally Thorne: I read one of Sally’s other books and enjoyed it, so I wanted to give this one a go. The main character, Ruthie, is buttoned up and terrified of doing anything outside of what she’s doing (running a retirement home). Teddy, the hero, insults her in a happenstance meeting and then it turns out he’s the CEO’s son. For weird reasons they need to work together. I’m glad I read this because I needed something that was just fun, and this book fit that. I will say, I think the end was a little too neatly tied up, but I still really enjoyed the book.
- Piranesi by Susanna Clarke: I’ve tried to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (another book by this author) and couldn’t get into it, but this premise was so good. Honestly, this is what I wanted from the Starless Sea. Our main character has no name and lives in a house of endless halls and statues where the bottom floor is an ocean and he can speak to the birds. This book is a lovely mystery that unfolds slowly, but is so compelling I never wanted to put it down.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri: Yes, I know, I’ve been reading this one for a forever, but I’ve been dying to work my way through a bunch of the library books so I don’t end up getting back on some really long waiting lists. I have like three more books and then I’ll be getting back to this one.
What a fucking week. My AC died during the hottest time of the year and my dad ended up in the hospital. So this has been… interesting.
What Sam Finished:
- Stormbreak by Natalie C. Parker – This is the final book in this series and I continue to think this world is so unique. This book was exactly as I thought it would be. It wasn’t anything super special but after following it through its publishing journey, I’m glad I finished it.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Master Artificer by Justin T. Call – This is the second in a series and without spoiling this is about a guy named Annev and he’s got half an arm and that makes him one of the evil God’s children in the eyes of the public. Oh and he can do magic, which also makes him “evil” even though he’s not. He’s working through the consequences of the last book. I forgot how much I missed this series and am excited to keep going, though because I need to get through the next book to pass it along for Book Club, I switched to audio.
- Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim – I literally barely started this but I’m going to try and finish it by this weekend so I can pass it along, It’s the book club book this month.
What Minda is reading now:
- The Lucky Escape by Laura Jane Williams – “When the day finally comes for Annie to marry Alexander, the last thing she expects is to be left standing at the altar. She was so sure he was Mr Right. Now, she has no idea how she could have got it so wrong. After a chance meeting with Patrick, an old friend who reminds her of who she used to be, Annie takes a vow of her own: she’ll say yes to every opportunity that comes her way from now on. Could a spontaneous trip with Patrick be the way to mend Annie’s heart? She’s about to find out as she embarks on her honeymoon – with a man who’s not her husband.” Thank you Avon and NetGalley for an ARC!
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda