Happy Monday, Boozie Readers!
Just your weekly reminder that all lives can’t matter until black lives do.
It’s Tome Topple!!! We’re hosting again! For more detail, check out the Announcement Post
What Minda finished:
- A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine – The ambassador from Lsel Station to the Teixcalaanli Empire, investigates the death of her predecessor and the instabilities that underpin that society. I like a lot of what’s happening here, but it’s not quite enough for me. I didn’t think the payoff was all there.
What Minda is reading now:
- Bat 6 by Virginia Euwer Wolff – In small town post-WWII Oregon, twenty one 6th grade girls recount the story of an annual softball game, during which one girls bigotry surfaces. I remember reading (and loving) this when I was a kid. Counts as the shortest on my shelf for the Clear Your Shit readathon after I picked it up from a Little Free Library a few months ago.
Hey all, it’s been snowing pretty much nonstop which means I am in heaven. It also means that I have an absolute bitch of a commute. But, I haven’t crashed yet, and I’m less worried about snow taking me out than mice in my car… so…
What Ginny Finished:
- And I Darken by Kiersten White: I heard this was inspired by Dracula, and it’s a story where the gender has been changed, thinking, what if Vlad the Impaler was a woman. But, you don’t get that at all in this book. Don’t get me wrong, the book is still good, but instead you follow Lada and her younger brother Radu to the Ottoman empire where through happenstance they end up close to some powerful people. Don’t get me wrong, Lada is feral as shit, which I loved, but this book was not what I was expecting.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi: This book has been on my tbr for a forever, but that’s the nice thing about moving, new libraries mean new ebooks are available! This is the fourth book in a series, and without giving anything away: Zoe’s parents used to be soldiers, but are now just normal people, except for the fact that they’ve both people in bodies that were grown for them as a prize for surviving long enough. Now Zoe is on her way to a new world, expect the ship got lost? Look, I’m only 8% of the way in the book, I have no idea what’s gonna happen, but I’m pretty excited.
It’s Tome Topple!! Go hang out with us on the twitter and the discord group. I’m trying to finish up these next two books so I can make way for Rhythm of War the next book in the Stormlight Archive series comes out on Tuesday. You think I can do it? If I ignore the television. then yes.
What Sam Finished:
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Lightbringer by Claire Legrand: I’m really enjoying this. I have a lot of the same feelings as I had in the previous book, but like more. My heart is breaking
- Lobizona by Romina Garber: This is an Argentine fantasy story and seriously how could I not pick it up? Manu is living illegally in Miami after her pregnant mother fled Argentina to escape her father. Every month during her “lunar cycle” she seems to change a bit, her senses become sharper, her ears get a bit pointier, and most of all she has these eyes that are cray cray. When her life is turned upside down, she ends up at a secret magic school, trying to remain hidden while also trying to figure out who she is. I am really liking this a lot. I predicted one major point that hasn’t happened yet, but other than that, I have no idea where it’s going.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda