Happy Monday, Boozie Readers!
Just a reminder that Black Lives Matter
Well, this week has been super stressful, and I kept trying to make myself read books I wasn’t in the mood for, which means I dnf’d two books, returned one to my “read later” shelf (aka tbr) and started reading a book I had really enjoyed but the library stole back.
And, I think for the first time we started this blog, I didn’t actually finish a book.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown: This book really is fascinating. It’s at an intersection of shame and acceptance, talking about how mistakes aren’t the be all end all. It goes into some ways to live a “wholehearted” life, and right now I’m finding it really insightful. Honestly it makes me think of all the times people have said, “you’ve just moved to a new [INSERT HERE], you can reinvent yourself.” And how that’s kind of horrible advice. Reinvent yourself if that’s who you are an you had been pigeonholed into someone else. But changing things just to fit in SUCKS.
What Ginny DNF’d
- Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Adieh:I’m sorry. I know people love this book. I just, it couldn’t hold my attention, and once I put it down there was nothing that made me want to pick it back up. At least, the things I liked about the book weren’t good enough for me to deal with the parts I didn’t enjoy.
- The Friend by Sigrid Nunez: This book starts out at the end of the “new literary novel” and by that I mean the main character is mourning her lifelong friend, a man who fits the “aging white professor that all the young women are in to who is also a tragic writer” profile that a lot of mediocre men (also usually aging white professors who want to write the next literary novel) think makes brilliant literature. And while this was a different subset of that, I found the prose pretentious and couldn’t give a shit.
I had a lovely past week. My mom and grandma were in town so it was nice to see them
The weather was amazing this week and I finished my binge of House, so I am finally back in to reading. It’s been a joy
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Queen of Volts by Amanda Foody: This is the third and i believe final book in The Shadow Game series. When I read the first book, I was CONVINCED it was going to be awful, but it wasn’t and now I’m so excited to read this one. I’m about 15% in.
- Unravel the Dusk by Elizabeth Lim: This is the sequel to Spin the Dawn and I have been waiting for this book for forever. While the first book wasn’t what I was promised (Project Runway meets Mulan) it was still good. In this world, tailors can only be men. When the emperor demands that Maia’s father come compete to be the royal tailor. Maia decides to take his place and pretend to be a man. There’s a broody enchanter and things sort of go from there. This sequel picks up shortly after book 1 and then it doesn’t really stop pace-wise. I am quite enjoying it.
What Sam Finished:
Ha, I didn’t actually finish anything despite the fact that I felt like I read more…
No update from Minda this week
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda