Happy Monday, Boozie Readers!
What Minda is reading now:
- Lalani of the Distant Sea by Erin Entrada Kelly – A middle-grade Neil Gaiman American Gods-type book featuring Lalani, a young girl facing an impossible task intertwined with Filipino folk lore. This was Sam’s read for the book club and she highly recommended it.
What Minda finished:
- The Wolf of Oren-Yaro by K.S. Villoso – Epic fantasy about the Bitch Queen who must unite her divided land, even though she is hated by her people. Read for our Filipino-themed book club. Really enjoyed!
It’s TOME TOPPLE!!! So I’m reading some tomes.
What Sam Finished:
- Lalani of the Distant Sea by Erin Entrada Kelly: I also read this for book club. Minda did a good job explaining what it’s about but I loved it. It was super endearing and felt new to me. All of the new lore that I haven’t been exposed to before were amazing.
- Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron: Reading for Tome Topple. This is the story of Arrah, the daughter of a prominent blood witch. She hasn’t come in to her magic and that makes her super sad. Her grandma also sees a demon following her and also there’s something kidnapping kids in the city. Her bff (probs love interest) is there too. This takes an interesting turn in the middle, almost like it could be split into two books. I super enjoyed this. Didn’t see the twist in the end like I should have. Drunk review coming.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Stars and Blackness Between Them by Junauda Petrus: I literally just started this, I don’t think I can give it any justice. I got the rec from Njeri from Onyx Pages and if you haven’t found her on Booktube you’re missing out.
- The Memory of Souls by Jenn Lyons: This is the last book in the A Chorus of Dragons that comes out on Aug 25th. I am so happy to be back with all my queer kids. The angst is still very real and the story is going in a great direction. I super need to know how it ends.
Hello, I am tired.
What Ginny Finished:
- Secret Crush Seduction by Jayci Lee: I received this book as an ARC and I have opinions. I’m going to be writing a review of this so I’ll keep this short. For a sequel, it was easy to slip into the world without the background from the first book.
- Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay: Jayson learns his cousin in the Philippines has dies and goes to visit family and try to figure out what happened. I’ll probably write a review on this one too. But this book is amazing. It shows multiple perspectives of the Philippines and does a fantastic job of describing the country.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Beyond Ruin by Kit Rocha: Things are probably going to be slow going now that classes have started but I’ve still put a dent in this book. The 7th book in the “Beyond” series, this book starts off with a literal bang and has been fascinating since then.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda