More Than Neighbors by Shannon Stacey
**We received an advanced copy from Harlequin in exchange for an honest review. We’d like to thank Shannon and Harlequin for the opportunity. This book came out on June 16th. Purchase links are at the bottom of this post**
What I drank prior: wine and prosecco b/c sometimes you dont need a reason to break out the bubbly
The only thing they have in common is a property line! Cam Maguire is in Blackberry Bay to unravel a family secret. Meredith Price has moved next door with her daughter. He’s unattached. She’s a widowed single mom. He’s owned by a cat. She’s definitely team canine. All these neighbors have in common is a property line. One they cross…over and over. And Cam thought he knew what he wanted—until his family’s secret changes everything.
Drunk Overview: Melanie moves back to her small town with her daughter and ends up living next to Chad (his real name is Cam, which I had to look up). Theyre both drawn to each other but Melanie is a widow and Cam has parent issues. But theyre somehow drawn to each other, mostly because they live next door to each other, and very quickly fall in love
Spoiler-free Thoughts: this book is a cute quick read, but didnt really leave a lasting impression (probably obvious from having to look up Chads name). This book is just very low stakes, and the characters were a little shallow.
Characters: Melanie has legitimate worries starting up a new relationship, mainly her kid. Cam’s got issues with his parents, but his wishy washy back and forth doesnt really make sense for a businessman in his position. Guven what he does, it seems like it should ve easy enough to make one of the three decisions he actually needs to make. I guess he’s my big irritation with this book. The daughter seems decently kid-like and makes sense as more than just a plot device. Still, this is the first book in a series and I was kind of surprised at how few of the rest of the characters actually felt fleshed out
Plot: there really wasnt a plot other than its summer and these people will end up together. The drama was low key enough that there was never even a question as to how things were going to end. Like I said, this book was super low stress.
Writing Style: literally not worth noticing beyond a few quirks with word choices and treating pets as if theyre plot devices.
World building: this world feels so tiny considering both of the main characters came from elsewhere. And you’d think, again for the first book in the series, the world felt really tiny. The lovations were limited and I didnt really get a feel for the world.
What to pair it with: chardonnay with ice cubes in it. Its a beach read. The perfect this for a hot day where you want to leisure in something low key that doesnt make you think.
Rating: 2.5/5 Shots
About Shannon Stacey: New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shannon Stacey lives with her husband and two sons in New England, where her two favorite activities are writing stories of happily ever after and off-roading with her friends and family. You can contact Shannon through her website, http://www.shannonstacey.com, as well as sign up for her newsletter.
Author social links:
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49875473-more-than-neighbors?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=BPmoRsG1Za&rank=1
- Author website: https://shannonstacey.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/shannonstacey
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shannonstacey.authorpage
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shannonstacey/
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/More-than-Neighbors-Blackberry-Book-ebook/dp/B08337V9GG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=more+than+neighbors%2C+stacey&qid=1587390776&s=books&sr=1-1
- B&N: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/more-than-neighbors-shannon-stacey/1135744197?ean=9781335894694
- Google: https://books.google.ca/books/about/More_Than_Neighbors.html?id=7DQGzQEACAAJ&redir_esc=y
- IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781335894694
- Harlequin.com: https://www.harlequin.com/shop/books/9781488069901_more-than-neighbors.html