Hope Never Dies by Andrew Shaffer
Reviewed by Ginny!
This mystery thriller reunites Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama for a political mashup full of suspense, intrigue, and laugh out loud bromance.
Vice President Joe Biden is fresh out of the Obama White House and feeling adrift when his favorite railroad conductor dies in a suspicious accident, leaving behind an ailing wife and a trail of clues. To unravel the mystery, “Amtrak Joe” re-teams with the only man he’s ever fully trusted—the 44th president of the United States. Together they’ll plumb the darkest corners of Delaware, traveling from cheap motels to biker bars and beyond, as they uncover the sinister forces advancing America’s opioid epidemic.
Part noir thriller and part bromance novel, Hope Never Dies is essentially the first published work of Obama/Biden fanfiction—and a cathartic read for anyone distressed by the current state of affairs.
Synopsis from Goodreads
What I drank prior: hahahahaha still wine.
Spoiler-free Overview: okay so I read this for one of my bookclubs and I want to try a new format for my review. Ill start with the overview and then I’ll input the notes I actually took while reading this. Joe Biden is a sad man now and has nothing in his life until a “friend” from his past dies and he feels the need to solve the murder with the ocassional help of Barak Obama and mostly incompetent secre serviec agent.
- Joe Biden in this book is a sad man apprently with no friends outside of Barak Obama, nothing to fill his time with, and a wife who clearly doesnt care about him.
- Is he in love with Obama?
- Pretty sure a train engineer dying with heroin in their pocket isn’t going to be a mational story, at least not to the poin lt wveryone seems worried about. Its not gonna impact an ex VPs life.
- I still dont understand why Joe Biden has nothing going on with his life.
- I “love” how the women in this boom arent reallt characters.
- Anytime a line start “Im not racist, but” you know how that sentence is gonna end. Shut up Joe
- Why is the best lie he could come up with “we shared a bed” really?
- How the fuck did this guy survive being hit by a train
- How did this guy survive fslling off a train
- The drug transfer plot wasnt bad actually
- I still dont know why Joe Biden would have particularly cared about this case
- A+ job on Joe’s not so stellar sense of humor
Ultimately. This isnt super my book. I think if Joe hadnt made a run for President this year I might think differently. But ugh.
What to pair it with: gin and tonic with a single strawberry, because did you know Joe Biden was a Senator from Delaware? Cause he’ll mention it a bunch. Thats their state fruit and the most boring dc drink imaginable.
Rating: ugh. 2/5