Hello fellow boozie readers!
Things have settled down a bit for me. but I haven’t really been in the mood for reading. Plus Parker was in town so I feel like I drank my weight in alcohol.
What Sam finished this week:
- The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton: This is a stand-alone book about a poor young woman who’s basically sold off to the richest husband. This is a tragic found family book. I have a lot of thoughts about how certain things were handled but I plan on drunk reviewing this so… we’ll see what Drunk Sam thinks or if she’s just going to rage about it.
- Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence: I was blessed by the NetGalley gods with an e-ARC of the finale to the Book of the Ancestor series. OH MY BLOODY CHILDREN WAS THIS GOOD. I needed this book so badly. I cried a lot. I’ve already done a drunk review that I’ll publish on release day (Apr 9) so be on the lookout for that!.
What Sam’s reading now:
- King of Fools by Amanda Foody: This is the sequel to Ace of Shades and we continue to follow our kids Enne and Levi. I’m about 20% in and enjoying the hell out of their angst. They’re just trying their best guys.
- Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik: This is the 4th book in the Temeraire series. Talking dragons, gentleman’s honor, etc. These books are so comforting, especially as audio. I heard these sort of slump around this book, but we’ll see.
So, something very funny happened for me. I’m still reading both of the same books from last week. We had a review that needed to get written and therefore a book that needed to be read.
- The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman: Yup, I’m just working my way through the whole series. The mystery is deepening with the hints of a war between the Fae and the Dragons. A Dragon approaches Irene to ask for her help which puts her in an unfortunate position. I’m not far in, but it’s already a ton of fun. I always love a little more chance to see the inside of the Library.
- The List by Patricia Forde: This is a book that we received a long time ago and Parker already wrote a review (see it here) and I decided now was a good time to finally read it.
- The Stars May Rise And Fall by Estella Mirai: This is the book I mentioned above. There’s gonna be a review coming as this book is coming out pretty darn soon. It’s inspired by Phantom of the Opera and takes place in the Japanese music scene.
What Melinda is reading now:
- Vengeful by V.E. Schwab – It was a busy week, so I’m about halfway through at this point. I was pleasantly surprised that this book is starting to focus on Eli and his backstory—something I didn’t even realize I wanted. We’ll see how it ends!
What Linz read:
- Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee – this took AWHILE for me to finish. Definitely an interesting take on the space battle genre; it wasn’t for me but I appreciate what Lee was doing
- Heretics Anonymous by Katie Henry – Michael, a teen atheist, is attending St. Clare’s, his first Catholic school but fourth new school in the past few years. Very I’m-an-outcast-but-I-found-outcast-friends. It wasn’t bad, but I didn’t love that the secondary characters felt underdeveloped and served to further Michael’s journey. Did NOT love the ending.
- The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn – GIRL. This was marketed as the Gone Girl of 2018, so I avoided it…and then I saw this article. I found this book very satisfying to read, and would totally recommend, but god DAMN is truth stranger than fiction.
- Damsel by Elana K. Arnold – JESUS H THIS BOOK HAHAHAHHAHAH. Full disclaimer that I got really really bored reading this book, so I searched for a spoilery review. Thanks for Niffler Reads‘ review, you did the lord’s work. (Link does NOT go to the review, just the blog.)
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal – one of my resolutions was to read the damn books I actually own, so here we go! I’m only a few chapters in but enjoying it.
- King of Fools by Amanda Foody – we were lucky enough to get a digital ARC for the sequel to Ace of Shades, and we’re REAL excited.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
Sam, Melinda, Linz, and Ginny