Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
Friendly reminder that not all lives can matter until black lives do.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter: Andy finds out she doesn’t know her mother as well as she thought when she sees her mom take out someone on a gun rampage. I like Slaughter’s writing but I find it really disquieting to read. Andy is an interesting character in that she can be so passive but the book requires action.
What Ginny Finished:
- Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree: an orc named Viv has decided to quit adventuring and open up a coffee shop. And this book is as soft and warm as that one line summary makes it sound. This book is so relaxing to read and Viv was a delight to cheer on.
- Silver Under Nightfall by Rin Chupeco: remy is a vampire hunter with suspect origins, a shitty dad, and ends up in an entanglement with a vampire couple. Meanwhile, there’s a horror ravaging the country and Remy is the main investigator. This book is so good. Gothic horror, a delightfully intense poly romance, fantastically creepy monsters, and fantastic worldbuilding.
- Arrows Fall by Mercedes Lackey: this is the third book in the heralds of Veldemar series. Talia is a full blown Herald and ends up going on a diplomatic mission to a neighboring country that had historically been friendly but was sending out weird vibes. Honestly this is a weird book to talk about because of how dark it is. Darker than I expected for a YA novel. I do appreciate the hopefullness of this book though, and I’m looking forward to reading more of Lackey’s books
What Sam is Finished:
- The Golden Enclaves by Naomi Novik – This is the last book in this series and the second book had a HUGE cliffhanger and I am so happy that I got it from the library so soon after release. This is a dark academia fantasy series and I Love It. The end was good, but this one was not as strong as the other two.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Warrior Moon by K. Arsenault Rivera – This is the last book in this series. It is a sapphic eastern european inspired story. I can’t say much but know that Shefali and Shikuza are still my kids and no one can come at me. I’m almost doneeeeeee
- Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan – This is the second book in this series. We received an ARC from NetGalley. I really love this series a lot. The main characters are all immortal gods and it changes the dynamic of the characters which is super cool.
- A Psalm of Storms and Silence by Roseanne A. Brown: this is the second in a duology so I can’t say much, but this is an African inspired fantasy and I love it.
What Minda is Reading Now:
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly – A WWII novel told from the perspective of three women in America, Poland, and Germany, respectively. The women each have a unique role during the war and their paths set them on a collision course to each other. Still pretty early in this one, but reading on audio.
- The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams – “Set during the height of the women’s suffrage movement and with the Great War looming, The Dictionary of Lost Words reveals a lost narrative, hidden between the lines of a history written by men.” Reading for a book club.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda