Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
Friendly reminder that not all lives can matter until black lives do.
What Minda Finished:
- One Day by David Nicholls – The basic premise is these two met and hooked up on their last night of college and decided to just be friends. They become best friends (despite having nothing in common) and continue to be in each other’s lives so we revisit them every year of their hookup-iversary. Good premise, yeah? In practice, for me, it was awful and they are both not someone I was rooting for. For a while it was an ok hate-read, but I literally DNF’d with only 9% to go because it got that unbearable. It’s an international bestseller, so I’m obviously one of the very few people who felt this way somehow.
What Minda is Reading Now:
- Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly – A WWII novel told from the perspective of three women in America, Poland, and Germany, respectively. The women each have a unique role during the war and their paths set them on a collision course to each other. Still pretty early in this one, but reading on audio.
- The Dictionary of Lost Words by Pip Williams – “Set during the height of the women’s suffrage movement and with the Great War looming, The Dictionary of Lost Words reveals a lost narrative, hidden between the lines of a history written by men.” Reading for a book club.
What Sam is Finished:
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Warrior Moon by K. Arsenault Rivera – This is the last book in this series. It is a sapphic eastern european inspired story. I can’t say much but know that Shefali and Shikuza are still my kids and no one can come at me. This is a TOME so it’ll be a bit before I get through it.
- Heart of the Sun Warrior by Sue Lynn Tan – This is the second book in this series. We received an ARC from NetGalley. I really love this series a lot. The main characters are all immortal gods and it changes the dynamic of the characters which is super cool.
- The Golden Enclaves by Naomi Novik – This is the last book in this series and the second book had a HUGE cliffhanger and I am so happy that I got it from the library so soon after release. This is a dark academia fantasy series and I Love It.
No update from Ginny today
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda