Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
Friendly reminder that not all lives can matter until black lives do.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Return of the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner: This is the sixth (and as far as I can tell, final book in the Queen’s Thief series). And it’s a little weird to be wrapping up this series. The book is written from the perspective of Erondites, the grandson of a shitty baron in Attolia who has some sort of disability (he’s non-verbal but clearly intelligent). Which means this book plays well with gaps of knowledge.
What Ginny Finished:
- Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey: This is one of the book recs I got from Worldcon. Talia is from a border town that is really patriarchal, and finds a “companion” or magic horse that means she’s a Herald, which is the right hand of the Queen. She goes from an abusive family to a school. I have some minor complaints about the book, but it was so cute, and one of those books I wish I had read as an early teen because I would have been ABOUT IT.
- Honor’s Knight by Rachel Bach: This is the sequel to Fortune’s Pawn. This book dovetailed nicely from the first book but ramped up the drama REALLY fast. Devi is basically a weapon at this point and is trying to figure out what is going on, while balancing the possible loyalties from conflicting sources. I’m not gonna say this is an amazing book or series, but it’s a fun read.
- The Accidental Pinup by Danielle Jackson: Two photographers are working together on a nationwide campaign for Cassie (one of the photographers) friends. Reid (the dude) is being paid to keep an eye on Cassie and whooooooo boy is this a trope that I don’t go for. Workplace romances can be iffy but god it’s hard to root for the couple when one of the people is doing something so blatantly shitty. Cassie deserved better.
- Lead from the Outside by Stacey Abrams: This was part memoir, part how-to and I really enjoyed it. Unsurprisingly, Abrams has a very approachable writing style and the book does a great job of outlining ways to help you figure out where you want to be and how to get there. While geared towards women and POC I think the advice is really valuable and I enjoyed how she shared personal experiences for all of the things she was talking about. I’m looking forward towards what she does next!
What Sam is Finished:
- Not a thing…
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Wings of Shadow by Nicki Pau Preto – this is the last book in this series so I can’t really tell you what it’s about. Again in my mission to catch up. Listening on audio and I’m enjoying it so far
- Cytonic by Brandon Sanderson – this is the last book in the Skyward series (seeing a theme here this week?). Again, can’t say much except Spensa somehow got herself in to a worse pickle this time. Slow going but enjoying it
What Minda is Reading Now:
- Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett – “A curmudgeonly professor journeys to a small town in the far north to study faerie folklore and discovers dark fae magic, friendship, and love in the start of a heartwarming and enchanting new fantasy series.“ Thank you, Netgalley and Del Rey.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda