The Bronzed Beasts by Roshank Chokshi (Gilded Wolves #3)
Reviewed by Sam!
What I drank prior: it’s kickball Thursday! Which means I lose count on number of drinks because it’s all beer games. But it’s a lot… we also won flip cup and I am v proud of us
In love they breathed. In destiny they believed. In the end, will divinity be their demise?
After Séverin’s seeming betrayal, the crew is fractured. Armed with only a handful of hints, Enrique, Laila, Hypnos and Zofia must find their way through the snarled, haunted waterways of Venice, Italy to locate Séverin.
Meanwhile, Séverin must balance the deranged whims of the Patriarch of the Fallen House and discover the location of a temple beneath a plague island where the Divine Lyre can be played and all that he desires will come to pass.
With only ten days until Laila expires, the crew will face plague pits and deadly masquerades, unearthly songs and the shining steps of a temple whose powers might offer divinity itself… but at a price they may not be willing to pay.
Returning to the dark and glamorous 19th century world of her New York Times instant bestseller, The Gilded Wolves, Roshani Chokshi dazzles us with the final riveting tale as full of mystery and danger as ever.
Drunk Overview: so this is the finale sonic you haven’t read the other two then please leave, or don’t, I’m not your mom.
So this is the finale and Severin has “changed sides” to go with the bad guy and the rest of the crew are all fuck him no knowing it was a trick and they’re trying to get to this place so that they can save Leila. Oh and the guy severin is with is fucking bonkers.
Spoiler-free Thoughts: it had been a while since I’d read the other books but I felt like I’d only just left them when I picked this up. I really enjoyed it.
Characters: ok so there are a bunch, hear me out
- Severin: my sweet summer child. I’m still so mad at him but it’s hard to be when he’s in the situation he is. Literally how dare he but also my poor poor son. I do like that he knows what he’s done and doesn’t try and make excuses.
- Laila: She’s just so pure but also living in fear of death. Not wanting anyone to bother with her while the world is literally at stake but like also… doesn’t want to die
- Enrique: MY SWEET BOY. He and Zofia’s relationship is so good to me because it’s just the pinacle of angsty teenagesr just trying to figure things out…
- SPEAKING OF ZOFIA: I really like this character because she’s neuro-atypical and people just sort of accept that and understand her qwell enough that she doesn’t have to justify what’s going on in her brain
- Hypnos: he’s just too weird for me like… stop trying to be charming because it’s really not fooling anyone. If we’re (as readers) supposed to find him charming against my other children, that was not successful in this book.
Plot: so like… they basically hav 10 days to go find this thing so that they can both protect the world and help Laila. The crazy guy is CRAZY. Also… i did like that the cast were all pissed at S, and he knew they were, but he still did everything he could to help them while maintaining his cover…
Writing Style: I truly love the writing in this. I listened to this one on audio (the others physical copy) and I really enjoyed the narrator and the lyrical writing made it that much better,
World Building: This world is so cool to me. I also REALLY liked how it ended… like really really. It fit with the world so perfectly.
What to pair it with: red wine, hands down.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,