Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
This is your weekly reminder that black lives matter. Also, #StopAAPIHate
What Sam Finished:
- Blade of Secrets by Tricia Levenseller – I freaking adore this author. I gobbled this book up and loved every second of it. There’s this blacksmith Ziva who’s a blacksmith and she makes magical weapons. When she makes one on commission for a warlord that is entirely too dangerous, she ends up on the run with her sister, a mercenary, and a scholar. Loved it.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Story King by Matt Mikalatos: this is the third book in the Sunlit Lands series and I’m v happy.
Well, I didn’t end up getting much reading done because I’m visiting family. BUT I did finish one book on the plane!
What Ginny Finished:
- The Devil You Know by Kit Rocha: This is the second of the Mercenary Librarians:Maya and Gray both have vaguely life-threatening issues and they’re also gonna fall in love. This book involves trying to save a bunch of genetically altered children, de-brainwashing a friend, and testing the limits of two people with functional superpowers and I really enjoyed it. This series is just a blast and I love the way these books are so big about people trying to do good in their own worlds.
What Ginny is Currently Reading
- Fuzz by Mary Roach: I have been waiting for this book for a forever. Marcy Roach has an amazing and approachable way of talking about her research. This book focuses on the intersection of human laws and animal behavior. In other words, how do people react when animals break laws. It’s filled with her trademark humor and deep interest in the topic and is a gosh-darned delight.
What Ginny Put Down:
- Smoke Gets in your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty: This book covers one person’s experience working in a crematory and in the death industry and unsurprisingly this book is really morbid. Man, I just couldn’t do it. I only listen to audiobooks when I’m cooking or eating food and this is just not the right topic for that.
Don’t you just love weddings?? They are the sweetest. Getting back from a weekend in San Francisco where we watched one of my husband’s college buddies get married.
What Melinda Is Reading Now:
- The Viscount Who Loved Me (A Bridgerton Novel) by Julia Quinn – The second in the Bridgerton series follows the eldest son Anthony as he deals with the lasting trauma over the death of his father and decides to pursue marriage. His non-love interest is Kate Sheffield, who has deemed Anthony an unsuitable suitor for her sister, is determined to stop the betrothal at all costs.
- Obsidian by Sarah J. Daley – “Now wizard warrior Shade Nox, aka the Black Witch, aims to raise a new Veil that will protect her clan and all people as the land hurtles toward another disaster: the Unseen, ancient demons who turned the land inhospitable in a prehistoric war, are gathering their strength anew. But when Shade sets her plans in motion, she learns a dark secret about the magic required to raise a Veil, and she’ll have to find a new way.” ARC from NetGalley—book out Jan 25.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda