Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
This is your weekly reminder that black lives matter. Also, #StopAAPIHate
What Ginny Finished:
- The 7,1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton: I finally finished this and while the mystery was fascinating and there were a ton of fun twists and turns, I ended up disliking this book due to the author’s writing style. There was a ton of ableism in this book and a surprising lack of women playing important roles, and I found myself really let down by the ending. I know this book got accolades, but… not my thing.
- His Sacred Incantations by Scarlett Gale: This was the sequel to His Secret Illuminations about the badass lady warrior and the relatively timid healer she stole from his abbey. Again, I think these two books should have been one particularly long book, but I really enjoyed this half of the story. Fighting the demon, the interpersonal relationships, and taking down a bad guy were all really fun.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Smoke Gets in your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty: This book covers one person’s experience working in a crematory and in the death industry and unsurprisingly this book is really morbid. I really wanted to like this book, but honestly, I’m probably going to put it down. My problem is I typically listen to audiobooks while cooking and eating… and… yeah, not the best choice.
- The Devil You Know by Kit Rocha: This is the second of the Mercenary Librarians and I’m having an absolute blast reading it. Maya and Gray both have vaguely life-threatening issues and they’re also gonna fall in love. Meanwhile they’re also saving cloned and genetically altered children. This book is gonna be wild.
What Sam Finished:
- Blade of Secrets by Tricia Levenseller: idk about you guys but I love this author so much. I gobbled this audiobook whole. Ziva is a blacksmith who makes weapons but also has magic so she makes magical weapons. She takes a commission from a warlord and made a sword that tells secrets, and turns out the warlord is tryna take over the world. So Ziva runs away with her sister Tamara, a mercenary, and a scholar. This was delightful and charming and I cannot wait for the next one.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- The Story King by Matt Mikalatos: this is the third book in the Sunlit Lands series and I’m v happy.
Don’t you just love weddings?? They are the sweetest. Getting back from a weekend in San Francisco where we watched one of my husband’s college buddies get married.
What Melinda Finished:
- The Viscount Who Loved Me (A Bridgerton Novel) by Julia Quinn– The second in the Bridgerton series follows the eldest son Anthony as he deals with the lasting trauma over the death of his father and decides to pursue marriage. His non-love interest is Kate Sheffield, who has deemed Anthony an unsuitable suitor for her sister, is determined to stop the betrothal at all costs.
What Melinda Is Reading Now:
- Obsidian by Sarah J. Daley – “Now wizard warrior Shade Nox, aka the Black Witch, aims to raise a new Veil that will protect her clan and all people as the land hurtles toward another disaster: the Unseen, ancient demons who turned the land inhospitable in a prehistoric war, are gathering their strength anew. But when Shade sets her plans in motion, she learns a dark secret about the magic required to raise a Veil, and she’ll have to find a new way.” ARC from NetGalley—book out Jan 25.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda