Happy Monday, Boozie Book Nerds!
This is your weekly reminder that black lives matter. Also, #StopAAPIHate
This is my favorite time of year! I get to break out my hoodies and jackets, Halloween is right around the corner, and decorative gourds are everywhere (at least in my apartment). I also managed to take full advantage of a friend’s garden so I have homemade marinara bubbling on the stove!
What Ginny Finished:
- Everybody Else is Perfect by Gabrielle Korn: The beginning and end of this book were amazing! I will admit, I got tired during the middle of the book where she talked about what the past few years were like… I got it, I lived it. But Korn has a really interesting perspective on how the media works and how corporations are taking idea of acceptance and diversity and turning them into profits rather than living the spirit of them.
- A Thorn in the Saddle by Rebekah Weatherspoon: This is the third book in the Cowboys of California series and it was a good one. Jesse has intimacy issues and Lily-Grade is dealing with the fallout of being harassed at work and a shitty (now ex) boyfriend. They help each other grow and deal with their issues and god this book was a fun read.
- All the Feels by Olivia Dade: This book was the ultimate comfort read. Lauren has been assigned as Alex’s handler after burning out working therapy in the ER. Alex is dealing with crushing guilt for not being enough, and acts erratically because of that. Also he’s a big deal actor. I liked the way these two people bounced off each other. It was a super sweet read (even if Alex did read as a bit younger than his supposed age).
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro: This book is interesting as the narrator is an AF or Artificial Friend. The first part of the book takes place in the store where she lives and it’s a really interesting way to build understanding of a world. I’m looking forward to reading more of this.
- Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran: Earlier in the year, I scored like 16 books for super cheap, this is the first book I’ve managed to pull off my tbr. So far it seems like a fairly typical romance. The main character has been left at the altar not once or twice and has decided to no longer be the good girl. Her dead brother’s best friend disagrees and is trying to help her find a husband because he feels responsible. This makes him a hypocrite and I’m pumped for them to clash.
Hey all!! It was a crazy long week but I got to go the the office a few times which mean I got some commute reading done!!
What Sam Finished:
- The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik: This is the second book in this series. And I feel like Ginny did, big giant FUCK YOU to Ms. Novik because now I immediately need the next one.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Nolyn by Michael J. Sullivan: this is the first book in a new series by one of my fave authors. Follows the son of Nyphron from the previous series. I’m enjoying this so far, but I will say that there are a LOT of parallels to the previous story. A lot seems unnecessary, but of course Sullivan is known for his endings so I’ll reserve my opinion for later.
What Melinda Is Reading Now
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker – This is the story of the Trojan War as told by Briseis, former Trojan Queen and current captive of Achilles. She shares her perspective going from royal to slave and the stories of thousands of enslaved women. Reading this one on audio.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda