Knight’s Shadow by Sebastien de Castell (Greatcoats #2)
Reviewed by Sam!
What I drank prior: I’ve had a lot of seltzer and at least one shot… I’m not the drunkest I’ve ever been but I’m there.
Following his beloved debut, Traitor’s Blade, Sebastien de Castell returns with volume two of his fast-paced fantasy adventure series, inspired by the swashbuckling action and witty banter of The Three Musketeers. Knight’s Shadow continues the series with a thrilling and dark tale of heroism and betrayal in a country crushed under the weight of its rulers’ corruption.
A few days after the horrifying murder of a duke and his family, Falcio val Mond, swordsman and First Cantor of the Greatcoats, begins a deadly pursuit to capture the killer. But Falcio soon discovers his own life is in mortal danger from a poison administered as a final act of revenge by one of his deadliest enemies. As chaos and civil war begin to overtake the country, Falcio has precious little time left to stop those determined to destroy his homeland.
Drunk Overview: this is book 2nin this series so if you haven’t read book 1, then you’re gonna get spoiled.. you can stay but I gave you fair warning.
So, Falcio’s gotta figure out how to get Aline in the throne and oh by the way he’s dying. That’s literally the plot.
Spoiler-free Thoughts: I really like this story. It feels nostalgic without being predictable and that’s rare.
Characters: there are a lot so here we go
- Falcio: I literally didn’t think he could go through worse but he did and somehow he’s keeping it together. How is that humanly possible, you ask? No idea. But my only request is LEAVE MY SON ALONE
- Aline: she;s a child but like… yikes. I didn’t expect that turn but was totally in character
- Brasty: he’s my favorite of the three amigos and like, so pure. His choices in this are exceptionally difficult and he did what I would have done and I’m really happy about it.
- Kest: KEST. The poor guy has no idea what to do now that he’s this saint guy and like he’s living with it anyway? What anguy
- Valiana: eek
- The mf Tailor: she’s my actual fave of the whole series. Gives me some serious Hoid vibes from Sanderson’s Cosmere, but like… not as much of a visionary… you know what I mean?
Plot: like the last one I wasn’t really sure what the plot of th’us was until it was over, but it was a great story and I am stoked for the rest of them
Writing Style: these are hilarious but also tragic and real. I see the painted picture beautifully, and the audio is brilliant.
World Building: I have so many questions that I feel should have been answered already… I feel like I get the politics, which I really love, but the magic bit I find weird. I just think de Castell wants us to have some mystery, but I don’t think he’ll ever give us answers that I desperately want.
What to pair it with: your favorite beer. Doesn’t matter what kind, cause it’s your fave and it brings you joy.
Rating: 4/5 shots
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,