Here’s our weekly wrap up from the WRFB crew =)
I got less reading done than I needed to this week. I still have two books to close out my NEWTs, but I can do it…. icanicanican
What Sam finished this week:
- NEWTs O-level Charms: The Future of Another Timeline by Annalie Newitz: Considering I’m only a chapter in, I will save the summary and my thoughts until next week.
- NEWTs E-level Arithmancy: The Black God’s Drums by P. Djeli Clark: This is a GREAT novella. I’m really glad that I picked it up.
What Sam’s reading now:
- NEWTs E-level Ancient Runes: Nottingham by Nathan Makaryk: Another ALA ARC grab, but am listening on audio since it came out on Aug 6th. In this story, Robin Hood follows King Richard on his crusade and it’s Maid Marian who is steals from the rich to give to the poor. Only just started but I am excite.
- NEWTs O-level Arithmancy: Into the Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo: I JUST started this but it was described to me as a book for fans of Mistborn. So I’m in.
Whatsup everyone! I had a very busy weekend and I’m so excited to be home and wearing comfortable clothes after spending time at a BBQ.
- Beginner’s Luck by Kate Clayborn: I actually read the second book in this series earlier in the year, but it was cute and managed to avoid some of the major tropes so I’m looking forward to this.
- The Austen Playbook by Lucy Parker: This is one of the books that we picked up at bookcon. I don’t know anything about it but the main characters are a. an actress that has been doing serious shows even though her passion lies in comedies and b. a very grumpy theater critic who is also trying to hold his family together through their poor spending practices. We’ll see how it goes.
- Normal People by Sally Rooney: This book details a relationship between two people as it changes from, I don’t know, primary school (?) through university. I found that the primary relationship switched between healthy and unhealthy on a fairly regular basis. I still thought the ending was fairly uplifting. 4/5
- Stormrise by Jillian Boheme: This is a mulan retelling with dragons! I’m hoping to write a review so I don’t want to go super into it.
- Guapa by Saleem Haddad: This was a story about a day in the life of a gay man in the Middle East while in the midst of a “revolution.” His grandmother had caught him with his lover and he’s dealing with the fallout of a number of different things. This is kind of a hard read just in how much I felt for Amin as he’s dealing with so many different things. 4/5
- Wolf Rain by Nalini Singh: Still jumping around in this series. This book was delightful! Memory has been held captive for most of her life for the use of her e-Psy powers. Alexei is dealing with a ‘family curse’ which is basically going crazy. I know this review doesn’t sound particularly fun but boy was this book delightful. Their chemistry was off the charts.4/5
- Misfits by Jen Calonita: I hadn’t realized I had already read one of the books in an earlier season. This is pretty darn cute and probably really good for a certain age child. This book ends with a huge cliffhanger, but I’m not sure I really care to read the next. 3/5
What Minda finished this week:
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow – Finished! Hella great concept, but the execution just never pulled me in enough. 3/5 shots for me, but looking forward to reading Ginny’s review (which is much higher than mine).
What Minda is reading now:
- The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young – This ARC is coming out soon so want to get a review done!
My fingerprints are burned off from the hot glue gun. I can’t wait for DragonCon planning to be done.
What Linz is currently reading:
There is no other book. There is only The Priory of the Orange Tree. It’s really good but holy shit is it long.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
Sam, Melinda, Linz, and Ginny