Stardust in Their Veins by Laura Sebastian (Castle in Their Bones #2)
Reviewed by Sam!
What I drank prior: ok so I’m trying to remember that alcohol fucks everything up. But…. Listen…. Today was actually the biggest day of my professional career. I got the promotion I’ve been working gfor. I cant even believe it. Truly. So i had a bottle fo wine and two shots. Minimum. I’m drunk so i can’t be held accountable for anything I’ve forgotten in my drunken celebration.
Drunk Overview: ok so…. We have the two remaining ladies… wait omg. Ok if you haven’t read boook one get out. Literally usually i say “follow your heart” but there isn’t quite as much drama usually in YA so here’s what I’m gonna say. We lose a main character in the first book and if you don’t want to know who it is then get out.
So, we’ve got the remaining ladies tryna figure things out after the death of their sister, one on the run one trying to figure out if her mom is the worst. So this is 100% the continuation of the previous book. Daphne and Beatriz are just tryna figure out what’s up after what happened in the last book. I was v worried about second book syndrome and i didn’t get it with this. Thi book was fab.
Spoiler-free Thoughts: lol so i think i was supposed to put the last para in his section but HEY i didn’t so whatever. also i loved this
Characters: ok so how do i deal with these characters. I also have a note here that says “why are all the boys so swoft” and I think that’s hilarious and accurate.
- Beatriz – poor thing is dealing with trauma but has to go home to the WORST trauma. So what is she supposed to do, idk but I love her relationship with Paz. It’s goals. I can’t even describe.
- Paz – I truly love him. He was so innocent in the first book but he’s trying to figure out everything else with being in your fake wife’s house and your favorite human (read: bf) being so close by.
- Daphne: I kinda want to slap her. Like, she has this super hot super trustworthy dude, Bairre, who is the actual best, but you care more about yo mama then anything else. ANYWHO. I loge her journey.
- EVERYONE ELSE: they’re all in support of these two but in the actual best way. They have challenges but the girls have made their allies and they know what’s up.
- Ok i lied
- Val: she’s the actual best, she wants to do what she promised for Soph keeping her love safe, but has her own reasons behind everything
- Leopold: his journey in this book is long and arduous and painful but it’s also beautiful
Plot: I was never bored. Not once. The multiple POVs and settings and interwoven plots are masterfully done.
Writing Style: I will forever read Laura’s books. I think she takes YA to another level and makes everything so unique.
World Building: Not much to say here
What to pair it with: port wine. It’s delicious after such a meal of a book
Rating: 5/5 shots
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,