Happy Monday, Boozie Readers!
Work is overwhelming right now, but getting through it. The little one is also on the move and commanding our attention!
What Minda is reading now:
- The Wolf of Oren-Yaro by K.S. Villoso – Were doing this thing for book club where we are all reading books by Filipino authors and this was my pick recommended by Linz! Epic fantasy tale of a queen called the Bitch Queen (already love) who must unite her divided land, even though she is hated by her people.
It’s TOME TOPPLE!!! So I’m reading some tomes.
What Sam Finished:
- Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey: This is a contemporary fantasy where someone is murdered at Magic School and the headmaster hires a PI to solve the murder. Oh by the way the PI has no magic, but her twin sister does and sis teaches at the school. I’m flying through this audiobook. This wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be, unfortunately.
- Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb: This is a memoir about a woman’s relationship with her grandmother. It’s told in the perspective of her grandmother and I loved it. Minda read it too and also seemed to enjoy.
- Blood Water Paint by Joy McCollough: This is a historical fiction told in verse about a painter in Rome during Enlightenment. It’s a tough story, but it’s also super powerful. Some of the experiences that she goes through she gets by by remembering the true story of some of the bible fierce women like Susanna and Judith. I really didn’t expect this to be what it was, but I flew through it.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- Kingdom of Souls by Rena Barron: Reading for Tome Topple. This is the story of Arrah, the daughter of a prominent blood witch. She hasn’t come in to her magic and that makes her super sad. Her grandma also sees a demon following her and also there’s something kidnapping kids in the city. Her bff (probs love interest) is there too. I’m listening on audio and I’m enjoying it so far.
- The Memory of Souls by Jenn Lyons: It’s funny I’m reading two books about souls lololol. ANYWAY, this is the last book in the A Chorus of Dragons that comes out on Aug 25th. I am so happy to be back with all my queer kids. THE ANGST folks, THE ANGST!
Well, my extended vacation is almost to an end. My classes start on Wednesday so I’m sure the next day-ish will have plenty of reading and hiking and generally enjoying life.
What Ginny Finished:
- Burning Glass by Kathyrn Purdie: This book ended up being perfectly fine. I really enjoyed the premise, an empath(ish) person acting as security for a ruler. I’m not sure if I’ll write a review for this one, but ultimately, I don’t plan on continuing with the series.
- Beyond Innocence by Kit Rocha: This may be my favorite book in this series. Both of the main characters have lived a life where their image was more important than anything else, and learning to break past that is difficult. Again, this series is fun for the world-building (which is extensive) and for the very interesting combinations of characters that happen.
- Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon: I’m probably going to review this one too. Helen has been asking her married boyfriend to leave his family for years. Right when she finally realizes that he isn’t what she wants is when he finally leaves them. The book is quirky and feels very dated in some of it’s descriptions of things, but, oddly enjoyable?
- On the Loose by Tara Janzen: I read this for one of my book clubs…. just… don’t. Just don’t.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Beyond Ruin by Kit Rocha: I bought the whole series and I’m gonna get through it damn quick at this point.
Until next time, we remain forever drunkenly yours,
— Sam, Ginny, and Minda