Hope you all had a great week.
What Minda is reading now:
- She’s Faking It by Kristin Rockaway – College dropout Bree Bozeman finds herself rising as an Instagram influencer, she finds out that things can go sideways fast. I have been interested in the rise of books about the toll of social media, so added this one right away! This book is expected to publish 6/30. Thank you to Graydon House for the advance copy!
- The Other’s Gold by Elizabeth Ames – Follows four women from their initial meeting when they became inseparable their freshman year to their days as new parents, which each part devoted to a terrible mistake each of them make. I’m intrigued–I love reading about tight, flawed female friendships.
What Minda put down:
- All Adults Here by Emma Straub – Oops! The library took this one back already. A reflection on parenting across three generations “and all the other things that follow us into adulthood, whether we like them to or not.”
This was a week where I got caught up in other things. I finally finished the math course that I needed to finish before classes start, played a heck of a lot of Stardew Valley, and actually spent some time outside. Unfortunately, not too much reading.
What Ginny Finished:
- A Chance at Love by Beverly Jenkins: I really do enjoy reading Ms. Bev’s books. I enjoy a book where a woman knows her shit and owns it, and boy is this book in spades. Loreli agrees to be the mother of two adorable twins (and the kids didn’t seem irritating in this book which is GREAT) which just so happens to mean she’s going to marry their super hot Uncle who took them in after her mother’s death. This book had some amazing banter. And by that I mean that I actually laughed out loud at some of the conversations specifically between Jake and Loreli. Jenkins does a wonderful job of keeping the character’s race front and center in these books as well, pepping in information about the limitations of the laws at the time, and which groups excluded people of “the Race.” Especially now, it was really nice to read a story where a black couple got to find their happily ever after.
What Ginny is Currently Reading:
- Strange Exit by Parker Peevyhouse: HAHAHAa, I’ve read like three more pages of this. Legitimately, I read half of this in a day. And for some reason I’ve been having a hard time picking it back up. C’est la Vie. I’ll get back to it soon enough.
Everything is…. a garbage fire. I am in another down in the ups-and-downsville.
What Sam Finished:
Nada. The two books I’m reading now are great but are taking me a bit.
What Sam is Currently Reading:
- We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal: Only barely started this audiobook but I have been excited to read this book since it came out and I was stoked to see my hold come through at the library. I also have a physical copy so we’ll see if I switch back and forth. I am real sad about what just happened the last chapter I read. Hit me hard.
- Queen of the Conquered by Kacen Callender: This is an islander fantasy story where our main character is a woman of color serving as a sugar plantation owner. She can read minds. She has this master plan to take down the white man. I am loving this so far. It’s tough to read for long periods of time because there isn’t a lot of dialogue, but I am really loving it.
Until next time, we main forever drunkenly yours,
Sam, Ginny, and Minda